Your smile is the first thing someone notices about you. The impression you give people is judged by it. This is the reason why having crooked teeth could take its toll on you. It could make you feel self-conscious and wear your smile less often. In the past, the only solution to this problem was traditional braces.
However, advancements in the field of orthodontia have seen the development of Invisalign treatment. Invisalign aligners are tiny and are made out of hard plastic and are tiny to fit snugly between the teeth. One thing that stands out for these aligners is the fact that they are barely visible. People with mild to moderate misalignment and bite problems will find this an excellent treatment option.
Invisalign works by exerting pressure on the teeth, gradually moving them into the proper position. To achieve this, you will be required to wear the aligners for a minimum of 20 hours a day. Because you can remove the trays, your dental care routine will remain unaffected. You will still be able to brush and floss like before, without worrying about wires and brackets.
This article explores the upside and downside of Invisalign treatment.
There are several reasons why people ditch metal braces for clear aligners. Here are some of them:
- Comfort : One of the things that Invisalign guarantees is comfort. Clear aligners do not have brackets or wires; therefore, there will be no need to worry about cuts and nicks in your mouth. Their smooth nature also plays a role here.
- Aesthetics : Everyone will notice if you wear metal braces. This isn’t the case with Invisalign. The aligners are pleasing to the eyes and are invisible to even the keenest eye. This means that you can wear your smile more often without worrying about the rest of the people.
- Convenience : Because Invisalign is slowly replacing metal braces, you don’t have to deal with the latter’s hassle. This way, they are a convenient option for both teens and adults. Also, the fact that they are offered at most dental practices makes them even more convenient.
- Removability : You can remove Invisalign aligners during brushing, flossing, and eating. Invisalign, therefore, lets you consume any foods or beverages you want without worrying about staining. With the aligners removed, you can brush and floss better; thus, your risk of developing periodontal disease is reduced. Besides, food debris won’t get lodged between the aligners, as is the case with metal braces.
- Minimal Maintenance : One thing that stands out for these aligners is that they come with a low maintenance factor. You are only required to clean them every other day using a toothbrush immersed in water and bleach. The cleaning barely eats into your routine.
Although Invisalign has a lot of advantages, it also comes with its disadvantages. They include:
- Costly : This is one of Invisalign’s most significant disadvantages. It stems from the fact that dental insurance doesn’t cover them, meaning you are expected to pay from your pocket. This means that you may have to rethink your choice if you are operating on a tight budget.
- Inconvenience : Although medical experts describe them as a convenient choice, some patients do not feel the same way. To some, they are cumbersome owing to the fact that you always have to remove them before eating and brush your teeth before putting them back on.
Who is Eligible?
Anyone can get Invisalign except for the following groups:
- Patients who Smoke : If you smoke and are unwilling to quit this behavior during treatment, you may not have the aligners fitted. This is because smoking could discolor your aligners, staining them and making them an ugly site.
- Anyone who won’t wear the Aligners for at Least 20 hours daily : If you are aware that you do not possess the willpower to wear the aligners for prolonged periods, this may not be the right treatment for you. With Invisalign, the patients wield so much control. Therefore, if you can’t adhere to the orthodontist’s instructions, the aligners won’t perform their function.
- Kids that are too young to follow instructions that come with the treatment
Finding Invisalign in Pasadena, TX
If you are in Pasadena, TX, and need Invisalign near you, Marconi Dental Associates is your to-go clinic. We offer several other comprehensive dental services besides Invisalign in Pasadena near you. Ready to schedule an appointment? Call us today and book an appointment.